- Help Us Train When it comes to fire training, there's no such thing as enough. A live fire training facility will soon be built in Farmington. For a commitment of $500,000, the AVFD will have the opportunity to hold partial ownership in the facility, allowing members to train frequently enough to assure proficiency.
- Change Your Clocks, Change Your Batteries Daylight Savings Time ends at 2:00 a.m. on Sunday, November 2, 2014. Set you clocks back one hour before going to bed on Saturday, November 1, and change your smoke/CO detector batteries.
- Donate to the AVFD Our all-volunteer fire department saves the Town of Avon more than $8 million per year. Donations help keep it that way and are critical in maintaining to highest level of emergenct response and readiness.
- Fire Prevention Week is October 5-11 Working Smoke Alarms Save Lives! Test Yours Every Month!
- Halloween Party October 25 Tickets for our annual Halloween Parade at Pine Grove School are on sale from October 1-17.
Welcome to the Avon Volunteer Fire Department.
Incorporated in 1943, the Avon Volunteer Fire Department proudly protects more than 18,000 people living in the 22.6 square mile area that makes up the Town of Avon, Connecticut. The Department’s mission is to provide fire suppression and prevention, life safety and rescue support, as well as other community support to the citizens of Avon. In addition, the Department provides mutual aid support to those surrounding communities that, in time of need, may request such assistance.
Staffed entirely by volunteers, the Avon Volunteer Fire Department prides itself on the selflessness and dedication of its 178 members – 70 firefighters, nine fire police, 19 administrative members, 13 Explorers, 24 active veterans, 10 senior veterans, 33 lifetime members, and 13 honorary members, all of whom play a vital role in the safety of Avon. The Department operates six companies and 15 pieces of apparatus, including a brush truck, ladder truck, tanker, rescue vehicle, boat, and pumpers. Four stations are located throughout Town – Company 1 on Darling Drive, Company 2 on Secret Lake Road, Company 3 on West Avon Road, and Company 4 on Huckleberry Hill Road. Anyone interested in learning more about the AVFD should call (860) 677-2644 or stop by the Company 1 firehouse located at 25 Darling Drive any Monday evening after 7:00.